Peterson Ridge Rumble 40 mile ultra

    40 miles in 7:30. winning time was 4:47 and the slowest time was 9:47 of 135 runners, not to mention the ones who DNF'd or didn't make the cut-off time. 40 miles was a bit much for me this early in the year but I really just wanted to shake things up. With only a few 20 milers and some back to back 15 milers under my belt, I knew I had a good base but i knew after 30ish miles it would get a little rough. I was right.
these guys hanging out at the school/campsite
    I couldn't have asked for a better day. Dry and sunny with temps starting in the 40's to the low 60's. The course was a perfect early season run. Mostly winding between giant ponderosas on dry smooth trails covered in pine needles with the occasional technical section of volcanic rock and such. Not a lot of elevation gain either. About 3,000 or so feet with no real steeps, all runnable.
    My "strategy" was once I saw an aid station, to start walking, fill my water bottles, grab some food and walk out. Don't start running until i'm done chewing and all my stuff taken care of. Any time I needed to mess with anything like grab a gel shot or work my ipod to walk as well. These little breaks would ensure some momentary recovery and increase the odds that I would be able to RUN across the finish line instead of walk. Strategy worked. Out of 40 miles i'm sure I walked less than two miles altogether. 
one of many amazing views but forgot to charge my phone
    After about five hours, the hallucinations started. I'm  used to these. Depending on the weather or if I'm cycling or running, they usually start between 5-7 hours in. When cycling I get a feeling and a visual of a horse and rider just behind my left shoulder. When running, it's someone running just behind my left shoulder. I've talked to other cyclists and they've had the horse vision as well. I don't know as many ultra-runners to know if they Have the same vision or not. It used to startle me but I've since learned what this vision is so now when it happens, I welcome it. Of course there's the usual "twigs turning into snakes" and "moving tree stumps" but they don't really mean anything. Maybe just a reminder to drink some water. 
before (thinking)
    Ultras tend to be one big game of leap frog. You pass someone, then you don't see them again until an hour or two later they come back and pass you. You find yourself with a handful of people like this and it just goes back and forth for hours. The coolest part of this is that a lot of these guys race the same races so over the course of the year (or years) you see these same people on race courses all over the state(s). Of course this is generally limited to the guys who run the same pace as yourself but this is also a good way to gauge how you're stacking up. I have the guys I run with in the beginning of the race and the guys I run with towards the end. Some of them from other parts of Oregon, some from Washington, Idaho, California....And people talk about all kind of shit when out in the woods for several hours. I've heard some amazing life stories. Yeah....we run slow. On the way to the race, even, while at a rest area in the middle of the mountains I met a guy on the way to the race also from portland. And while talking to him, a race director friend from another race series pulled into the rest area. Of course he knew each of us. Portland's a small town. Even when you're not in Portland.
after (knowing)
    I must've drank two gallons of water but even that wasn't enough. By mile 28 I was barely sweating. And was practically pissing dust bunnies. And when I would pour water over my head, within about 10-15 minutes I would be completely dry. That's what it's like without humidity. One big dehydrator oven. I love it but you have to stay on top of it. Not usually too difficult but coming from Portland where it's still pretty wet, the desert climate can sneak up on you. 
Add caption
    I started to really fall apart around mile 35 at the last aid station. I ate some boiled potatoes rolled in sea salt but immediately tried to throw them up. headed back on the trail and was really confused but was able to still find the yellow ribbons marking the trail and keep that thought going. I'd seen very few people over the last couple hours but as I got within about three miles to the finish, I was catching others who were pretty much done and just walking it in. I stopped to talk a bit just to touch base with reality but was still able to "run." I was in a pretty confused state but I was familiar with this. This "place" I was at. There was some stumbling, hallucinations and just general confusion but as long as I could still make out the yellow ribbons I would be okay. I finally rolled in to the school where we were camped and the finish line waited and in true ultra mind games fashion, we had to run right by the finish line and do a lap around the school track before finishing. 
    Afterwards, I changed clothes, got my burrito and blueberry cobbler and a coke while some of the guys I passed three miles back managed to trudge in an hour later. With barely any mind left, I got in my van and drove about three hours back to Portland. Showered, ate anything I didn't have to make and passed out by 8:30. Waking at 4:30 to begin another Monday at work. I attempted to walk the 2.2 miles in but after only a half a block, I turned around and got my car. Walking was not gonna happen. I'll be taking the next couple weeks off to recover, both physically and mentally. Spending this time taking care of life stuff that gets put aside. Maybe some yoga, tweaking my diet and maybe even a couple bike rides. Then the next phase will begin.....



Popular posts from this blog

Answers....

The Power of "No More"

UNTITLED