Smith Rock Ascent 50k 2015

not awesome
    Another Smith Rock Ascent in the books! I came out for the inaugural race three years ago for the 25k. I brought a friend who was new to running and while I did the race, my friend ran/ hiked some of the trails. The next year I ran the 50k and said friend ran the 25k. Same deal this year but we brought another friend who's new to running to run/ hike while we ran. Maybe next year we'll have another convert.
    Coming in from Portland, the trip didn't start off so smooth. A freeway blowout in the van shook us up a bit but soon we were back on the road headed to Bend to pick up our race bags and dinner. Then to the campground.
   The campground was full but we ran into some "bro's" who led us to a cool spot just a rock's throw away. And by "bro's," I don't mean douchy frat guys, I mean dirtbag climber guys. I don't follow frat bro's down dirt roads.
    We found a nice space for the van, set up the camp chairs and waited for the stars. Believe it or not, that was a big anticipation for us. There's nothing like watching the stars in the desert sky. We could identify the planets and constellations using the star app on my phone. Of course this only promoted all kinds of "stoner conversation." Seeing how the planets line up with each other and how our own planet fits in. How tens of thousands of years ago the ancients already knew as much about the solar system as we do today. How sheep herders watching their flock over night made observations in the sky and maybe the "wayward son" who's not so into raising sheep maybe takes these observations a little further and begins to understand an even bigger picture. Like I said, promoting lots of stoner talk.
    Smith Rock has always been a magic place for me. I can't explain it. When I camp there, my dreams are more vivid and lucid. My runs are so much more inspired (even though my finish times don't reflect that). Even when I'm falling apart and hallucinating and getting a little confused, I still feel so incredibly grateful that I get to run in such an amazing place and even use that time to connect with the people who are no longer in my life. I don't know, it's just something about the place. Like some sort of vortex of energy.
    While I can't speak for everyone's experience, I have to say this was probably the quietest ultra I've ever run. While it seemed the whole 31 miles I ran with the same group, although about a quarter mile apart from each other, there wasn't the usual leapfrogging that usually describes an ultra. We each seemed to find our own pace and place and keep it there, meeting up every few miles at each aid station.
    For some reason the canyon between the two ridges (between mile 22-27, I think) were my favorite spot this time around. I mean, I was falling apart and the act of running was getting more and more "liberal" at this point but for some reason it was just this overwhelming zen state of discomfort that made me almost wish this wasn't a race and I could just run and run until I became the desert itself. Then I made it to the last aid station for some pringles and coke and real tangible life once again made it's presence known in my legs and feet.
almost there
    Those last few miles were beautiful. There's nothing like knowing you gave it everything while running alongside of others who've gave their all as well, crossing that finish line and getting yet another Smith Rock pint glass! I'm working on a set. Even If I stopped running ultras, I believe I would still do this one. Trail Runner magazine got it right. Definitely a race to put on your calendar.
    I have to say as well, that as ultra running can be described a bit as a tribe, I must say that the "Go Beyond Racing" crew is creating an almost cult in Oregon. Great people, amazing and inspiring races and probably the first time I've seen so many stickers on cars around town sporting the logo.
    Anyway, it's been a few days, I can almost walk down stairs without wincing and gained back most of the weight I lost during the race and I'm already looking forward to next year




 

Popular posts from this blog

Answers....

The Power of "No More"

UNTITLED